North side story 1

I started my journey as a part-timer for an energy company. This week, my assigned area was on the north side. I get a little thrill from traveling to different parts of Singapore as every town has it's own smell, colours and atmosphere. Old neighbourhood folks are mostly friendly and sweet-natured but there are also occasionally a few erratic ones.

 I was chatting well through my conversation with a potential customer until I was interrupted by an angry voice, shouting: "Hey, you are not supposed to have your booth here!"

I calmly looked at him and listened to all his angry words. I am not sure why I was not traumatised then, although I was a little afraid my customer would walk away. Somehow, after the man shouted, and I noted his reaction, apologised and told him I will move the booth. He walked away. And I continued my conversation with my customers as though nothing happened.
At the back of my mind, I  wondered if the man was mad or is he reallyy the landlord. I called my boss who said the position of the booth was fine! Through the day, I observed passers-by. It was a pleasing morning sight, the business of selling goods to everyday folks feels so charming and heart-warming. Oh, how I wish I have a retail shop which has passers-by like these. But my head said it is all a fallacy dream as the retail landscape is not favourable. Blame it on rental fee and the internet boom. I am secretly waiting for the day where retail shops will be revived. Retail shops still has charms. I need to believe God for it?

My customer was decisive, educated and younger than me by 2 years who just came back from Canada. He made the decision to switch to a better electrical retailer along with his wife and thus, sign up a 2-year plan with us. I gave his two young girls freebies to keep them busy while the application process was going on. It was a good transaction and service rendered! Only I could not explain the meter reading smoothly and confidently as I wasn't sure, I was smoking my way through a bit. And that was my only sale for the day.

One of the stall vendors came over to my booth to chat with me. He shared with me how little he and his wife spends and could survive with a humble income and uses most of their time on voluntary work. He said there are many people who need help. I suddenly feel moved by his statement. Nearby, an uncle was holding on to his microphone and seemingly broke out in an oldie. He told me this uncle is mentally ill, owns two shop spaces and sell his electricals at cost price. At home, he could not manage his bowels and do it everywhere. Poor wife of his.

Back home, I handle all my other business matters. I have a few decision weighing my mind.
Should I take up wedding project of R and H? I like that it is simple and involves only three or four different flowers/leaves. Perhaps, from then I can develop a wedding business for brides who aren't fussy about flowers. Name it roses and breaths. LOL. Most ladies in BB said they would not take it up but there are a few who confess that they do take it up and end up hating it and getting tempted by the money. Laughs*





Comments

Popular Posts